TBAT Innovation - Round 2 of the 2022 Biomedical Catalyst Funding
Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation, has launched Round 2 of the 2022 Biomedical Catalyst Funding competition. The competition will open for applications on 15th August 2022 and will invest up to £25 million in projects to support UK registered businesses to develop innovative solutions to address significant health or healthcare challenges.
Biomedical Catalyst projects can include:
- disease prevention and proactive management of health and chronic conditions
- earlier and better detection and diagnosis of disease, leading to better patient outcomes
- tailored treatments that either change the underlying disease or offer potential cures
- transforming the delivery of healthcare
Applications should be submitted via the Innovate UK – Innovation Funding Service (IFS), by 12th October 2022.
Biomedical Catalyst - Scope
The aim of this industry-led R&D competition is to support the development of innovative solutions to health and healthcare challenges.
Your project can include:
- experimental evaluation (at laboratory scale)
- use of in vitro and in vivo models to evaluate proof of concept or safety
- exploring potential production mechanisms
- product development planning
- intellectual property protection
- a demonstration of clinical utility and effectiveness
- a demonstration of safety and efficacy (including phase 1 and 2 clinical trials)
- regulatory planning
Your project can focus on any health or healthcare sector or discipline.
The Biomedical Catalyst now incorporates the Digital Health Technology Catalyst and will support digital health projects.
Your project can align with one or more of the following Innovation areas:
- advanced therapies (gene and cell therapies)
- diagnostic, medical technology and devices
- digital health
- independent living and wellbeing
- precision medicine
- preclinical technologies and drug target discovery
- therapeutic and medicine development
- data driven health
This list is not intended to be exhaustive.
Biomedical Catalyst – Eligibility Criteria
- To lead a project or work alone your organisation must be a UK registered micro, small or medium-sized enterprise (SME).
- To collaborate with the lead, your organisation must be one of the following UK registered:
- business of any size
- academic institution
- not for profit
- public sector organisation
- research and technology organisation (RTO)
- Your project must:
- have total project costs between £150,000 and £4 million
- not exceed a grant request of £2 million
- have at least 50% of the total project costs shared by the SMEs, if collaborative
- start by 1 May 2023
- end by 30 April 2026
- last between 6 months and 36 months
- carry out all of its project work in the UK
- intend to exploit the results from or in the UK
For industrial research projects, you could get funding for your eligible project costs of:
- up to 70% if you are a micro or small organisation
- up to 60% if you are a medium sized organisation
- up to 50% if you are a large organisation
For experimental development projects which are nearer to market, you could get funding for your eligible project costs of:
- up to 45% if you are a micro or small organisation
- up to 35% if you are a medium sized organisation
- up to 25% if you are a large organisation
Find out if your eligible to apply
TBAT Innovation Ltd are able to help interested businesses decipher whether their project aligns with the competition scope, and whether their business is eligible to apply. You can get in touch via their website contact form, by calling 01332 819740.