Mechanical Design Engineer (10308)
- Lead on engineering of assigned RFI instrumentation projects working closely with in-house teams and external collaborators or manufacturers.
- Work with science teams to develop requirements and scope for new technologies.
- Develop and agree technical specifications.
- Develop conceptual and detailed design reports in collaboration with science teams.
- Produce CAD drawings, layouts, room specifications, design concepts and calculations to predict design performance and where necessary liaise with external teams to perform FEA on critical systems.
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises and pursue solutions to mitigate risks.
- Liaise with collaborators or external companies on detailed design, manufacturing and assembly of components and systems.
- Where required supervise contractors or internal staff.
- Participate in, and plan proof-of-concept experiments to support planning and design activities.
- Maintain and manage files containing all relevant project documentation as required.
- Communicate project status and results both internally and externally at conferences and meetings.
In return we offer:
- 25 days holidays plus bank holidays and Christmas holiday shutdown
- Generous pension scheme (employer’s contribution currently up to 18%)
- Group Life Assurance (also known as Group Life Insurance or Death in Service)
- Hub building with state-of-the-art laboratories
- Training and development opportunities for staff at all levels
- Bus pass discount scheme and good transport links to Oxford and surrounding areas
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Access to employee discount platform (Perkbox)
- Occupational Health and wellbeing support including Employee Assistance (24/7 support and counselling)
- Health Cash Plan
- Subsidised canteen and food outlets on campus
- Free on-site parking
- Campus location in beautiful countryside with social and sports clubs open to staff
Before submitting your application please ensure you read the Job Information Pack for full details of this role available on our website.
About us: The Rosalind Franklin Institute is a new national Research Centre, funded by the UK government through UK Research and Innovation, dedicated to bringing about transformative changes in life science through interdisciplinary research and technology.
Location: The Franklin is based in Harwell Campus, UK’s innovation hub and well-established as one of the leading science and innovation campuses in Europe.
At the Rosalind Franklin Institute we welcome applications from all around the world!
Closing date: Sunday 7th January 2024