Leaf Expression Systems is a contract development business specialising in the plant-based expression and production of proteins, metabolites and complex natural products for research and biomedical applications using a proprietary, transient expression technology, Hypertrans®.
The Laboratory Manager will oversee the efficient day-to-day running of Leaf Systems laboratories, growing areas and general facilities, providing a range of services in support of the company’s development and manufacturing activities. The hands-on role will ensure that the technician team are maintaining all general laboratory supplies, sufficient plants are available for production demand and perform waste management duties, which includes using autoclaves. The Laboratory Manager will also ensure that all environmental health and safety requirements are met by the team and quality management documentation is followed.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- To work with other members of the Leaf team to ensure the smooth running of the facility by ensuring all support activities are carried out in a timely manner and that the research and development activities are not affected.
- To oversee and manage the technician team so that all stocks are maintained and make up solutions, buffers, media, and other reagents in advance of them being required by the team. Make sure that all activities are documented, and SOPs followed.
- Taking receipt of deliveries and distributing appropriately around the facility. Maintain and use systems for stock control for general consumables.
- To ensure that all activities associated with the growing of plants in preparation for infiltration are managed so that they meet future production demand. Support and perform the infiltration activities to provide stocks of material for the downstream purification group.
- To prepare the monthly forward-looking production schedule with other members of the leaf team and plan work activities accordingly to meet those demands.
- To ensure that all glassware and laboratory equipment is cleaned appropriately along with associated treatment using autoclaves etc.
- To oversee and manage the handling of any waste from the laboratories and growing areas so that it is treated appropriately and in line with company’s procedures and licenses. This includes the oversight of the company’s autoclaves.
- To develop the standard operating procedures (SOP) that the company employs so that they are up to date and accurately reflect the control of the activity being performed.
- To ensure that all activities are documented and meet regulatory quality assurance and QC standards.
- To ensure all activities are performed in accordance with the regulatory requirements for environmental, health and safety.
- To ensure training records are up to date in line with the training matrix for self and other members of the technician team.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list, and you may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties compatible with your experience and competencies. This description may be varied from time to time to reflect changing business requirements.
- Accountable to: Principal R&D Scientist
- Responsible for: Laboratory Technicians x2
- Internal: Leaf Operational Team
- External: None
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in life sciences, or relevant work experience
- Previous experience of working in a similar role in the biotechnology/horticulture/food/testing industries or as a laboratory technician/Research associate in an academic environment.
- Ideally experience of supervising other technicians to deliver the companies needs and goals.
- Strong PC skills to include the use of standard Microsoft programmes.
- Experience of following written procedures and documenting information accurately.
- Appropriate environmental, health and safety certification would be advantageous.
Skills and Attributes
- A strong communicator with the ability to interact cross-functionally and who considers objectives from a broad perspective. Communicates a "can do" attitude and positive outlook, minimising negative behaviours.
- Ability to forward plan and schedule tasks to meet demand. Able to track progress and implement remediation when things do not proceed to plan.
- Energetic, highly motivated, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success.
- Must be a team player and work well with others.
- Service orientated with an eye for excellence.
- Eligibility to work in the United Kingdom
- All applicants must apply with a covering letter and CV to [email protected]
Employer Leaf Systems International Ltd. trading as Leaf Expression Systems
Location Norwich, UK
Contact Nick Holton / Rebecca Harvey
Discipline Life Sciences, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Botany/Plant Science, Drug Development & Discovery
Position Type Permanent
Leaf Systems International Ltd. is an Equal Opportunities Employer